This is a dawn of Web OS. Next generation internet world will neither be a navigation of dynamic pages, information exchange, business/social networking nor creating your presence in virtual world. It’s more on starting-closing computing and accelerating work only through internet and nothing else. It’s an attempt to think and act beyond normal desktop computing and days of spending gigantic time to install/maintain operating system and required software updates/utilities on your box may become extinct.
There are many small-big initiatives on Web OS. Most of them are free to use. Few of them are still with “Beta” tag and few claim they are complete.
In parallel to this, web office suites are also playing major role in trying to replace desktop office software. Many of the web office suites come in front with free service offer.
Combination of Web OS and Web Office is certainly giving a strong sense of eliminating workplaces with stand alone environment in future. The dream of accessing anything from anywhere has started taking reality path.
Here are few thoughts on what could be the future of today’s free online services:
- Looking at the usage and business criticality free services may turn applying cost. This will sure force people to pay and use their computer. If this happens, chances of inclining towards stand alone software are more again.
- Many countries still have to implement “internet everywhere for reasonable cost".
- Most of the software companies restrict external email access. The common reason behind this will be (as company states) SOX policy (securing confidential data, but the real intention behind this to stop their employees to spend time in checking their personal emails). If everything goes online what about the ‘so called’ data security and policy?
- The service provider’s servers severely attacked by virus and losing all data (one point of failure) scenario can not be neglected.
- Will the Web OS offer same or more speed than offline OS?
- Complete documents migration from one service provider to another if user wishes to switch to some other service in between.
The result can only be seen clearly when companies start adapting online offices. Any aspect in this world will always have its own merits and demerits. Products will sure stand for long time if they are offering more mertis.