Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My Hmm… with Windows Vista

After successful installation, vista invited me with a fresh new UI. The start menu with inbuilt search, windows sidebar, re-designed windows explorer, high-resolution icons, Aero 3D screen flips, 3D games, Neat new interface for all sort of network related setups, parental control, Bit locker to protect our data, secure, stable, new sleep mode for better power management, index based search…cool bunch of features. I was happy, but my hmm… Started when few things are missing from their native place and few new things are not good at improving user experience.
- Disk defragmenter is less informative this time. No more color bars to check defragmentation status.
- I connected to internet and wanted to check the network speed. It was not easy, I have to first go to “Network and Sharing” screen and then interrogate for required information. Earlier this information used to come in a pop-up when you hover mouse pointer on network icon sitting in system tray.
- Windows media player 11 always starts with “Library” screen and every time I change it to “Now Playing” (so that, I can quickly drag and drop selected audio files and do a relevant equalizer adjustments). I don’t see any option to change the start up screen to “Now Playing”.
- Most user friendly and customizable tool bar is missing from windows explorer!
- In folder options, when you check “show hidden files”, it is so prompt that, it makes hidden desktop.ini files visible on your desktop!
- In windows explorer, the new status bar is not at all helpful when compared to the old one. Still I can enable old status bar from View menu but I didn’t see any option to disable the new one.
- I felt copy progress window unnecessarily eating up little time to calculate time to paste. Well, it really makes sense to inform user about expected time required before starting the actual process. In parallel, any advance user will also look for an option to disable it.

2 comments:

chenna said...

Goood one!,Seems you already started investigating new stuff in VISTA.
I know you would derive many new ideas and new ui for your products!
All the best and enjoy VISTA :)

Pavan Gayakwad said...

:) Indeed! Thanks.