Thursday, October 18, 2007

64 Bit Environment

From past several months I am using Windows XP 64 Bit version operating system on my laptop having AMD Turion 64 X2 TL50 (in Intel words- “1.6 GHz 64 bit dual core mobile processor”) master mind underneath. Luckily I got 64 bit driver support for all my hardware (I think, 64 bit days has silently begun) components. The operating system is stable enough and quite fast too (when compared to Windows XP Professional 32 bit Edition). It is true that there are very few 64 bit version software available for use, but as a dot net programmer what ever I need, I have those 64 bit enabled. The operating system even allows running 32 bit applications under protected memory environment but few are pretty much incompatible with this pact like Norton Antivirus, Comodo Personal Firewall…etc. specially, system software/utilities which are very much dependent on operating system API calls and if these software/utilities are of 32 bit, then there is a clear disagreement with 64 bit operating system. We just need proper ‘bit’ version software to smoothly run with 64 bit windows environment. One thing I clearly noticed that, application (whether they are of 64 bit or 32 bit) under XP Pro 64 bit, were working quite faster than usual 32 bit version.
Though we have less application support (choices), whatever is compatible and of 64 bit version are performing very well. At least a dot net developer can happily code and debug his application along with enjoying faster compilation and launching huge visual studio help file in parallel.
I should thank my geeky best friend Nandakumar S, who downloaded Windows XP Professional 64 Bit version software only for me.

No comments: